STICK’s online Spring 2021 event and AGM fell on 22nd April, also International Earth Day. Focussing on the themes of the future of heritage combustion engines and green initiatives, the event explored justifying, offsetting or sustainably running engines, navigating new climate regulations at local and national levels, funding partnerships, and the future of running heritage engines.
As we navigate the climate emergency organisations seek to minimise emissions and reduce resource consumption – but where does that leave heritage organisations that run historic engines on fossil fuels? How can we justify or offset these emissions and what does the future look like for our historic engines with increasingly sustainability-focussed funders? What is the role of industrial museums and collections in STEM and environmental education and how might learning outcomes balance emissions?
The free conference was held online via Zoom on 22 April 2021.
0:0:00 Welcome and Housekeeping
0:07:15 Fuelling Paddle Steamer Waverley by Paul Semple, General Manager at Waverley Excursions
0:26:50 Using energy of the past to learn about energy of the future by Craig Sinclair, Freelance Science Communicator
0:46:30 Steam Driven Cotton by Heather Davis, Conservation & Collections Manager, and Philip Butler, Curator of Industry & Technology, at Lancashire Country Council
1:14:19 Securing future coal supplies for heritage steam by Steve Oates, CEO at Heritage Railway Association
1:37:10 Is it that bad? Where are we in the climate conversation and what do we see as our role? by Dr Becky Peacock, Museum Director at Museum of Scottish Railways
1:55:45 Fuelling the Future by Victoria Robb, Education Manager at National Mining Museum Scotland
2:10:51 Smoke on the Water by Jim Mitchell, Director at Industrial Heritage Consulting
2:25:28 Panel discussion and Q&A
- “The Future of Coal For the Heritage Sector”, Pumping News issue 105 Spring 2021 – see page 4 onwards
- “Steaming Ahead?”, All Party Parliamentary Group on Heritage Rail, July 2019
- Coal – Going Underground*
- Coal – Truth vs. Fiction*
- Coal – What’s the Alternative*
- Coal – The Burning Questions*
- Coal – In the Firing Line*
- Fuelling Paddle Steamer Waverley presentation
- Using energy of the past to learn about energy of the future presentation
- Steam Driven Cotton presentation
- Is it that bad? presentation
- Fuelling the Future presentation
- Smoke on the Water presentation
* Many thanks to the author for passing these on. He notes that should anyone wish to republish the articles for public consumption, you must get permission from Bauer Media.