On the Surface: The Heritage of Mines and Mining Conference
The Centre for Tourism and Cultural Change, Leeds Metropolitan University, in partnership with the Department of History and European Ethnology, University of Innsbruck, Austria will be holding a conference on the heritage of mines and mining from 14-16 April 2011 in Innsbruck, Austria.
The conference will include the following themes:
· Histories and ethnographies of former mining communities
· Issues of preserving and managing mining heritage sites
· Mining for tourists – visitor experiences of mining heritage
· Interpreting and representing former mining activity
· Legacies and linkages with the contemporary mining sector
· Mining labour – mobilities and mining diaspora
· Memory, identity and belonging in former mining communities
· The languages of mining communities
Further details are available here, including how to submit an abstract if you are interesting in speaking at the conference.