Scottish Railway Preservation Society
(Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway)
The railway collection in the care of the Scottish Rail Preservation Society at Bo’ness (west of Edinburgh on the southern shore of the Forth Estuary) is extensive, with over 150 vehicles in the core historic collection. These represent Scottish railways and railway industrial manufacturing from the 1870s to the present day.
The collection is presented in the context of fixed displays (the Scottish Railway Exhibition) and in an authentic operating environment (the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway). The buildings group at Bo’ness Station are Category “A” listed, with the station roof dating from 1842. The branch line includes a 5 arch “B” listed stone viaduct.
There are locomotives from Glasgow builders Neilson, Neilson Reid, the North British Locomotive Company and from Andrew Barclays of Kilmarnock. Coaches and wagons include examples from Hurst Nelson and R.Y. Pickering. All five of the Scottish pre-grouping railway companies are represented and there is a wide range of equipment used by Scottish industries.
Diesels and multiple unit trains represent the first generation of British Railways’ modernisation from the late 1950s.
The railway and the Society are managed and operated by volunteer staff. SRPS has expertise in working steam plant, heavy engineering, manufacturing and maintenance, and in railway history and operation.