THE ROYAL COMMISSION ON THE ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL MONUMENTS OF SCOTLAND (RCAHMS)
RCAHMS was established by a Royal Warrant of 1908 and is an executive non-departmental government body financed by the Scottish Parliament. It is responsible for recording, interpreting and collecting information about the built environment, and its archive is formally recognised as a National Collection. The information and records that are collected relate to buildings, sites, structures and ancient monuments of archaeological, architectural, industrial and historical interest (including maritime sites and underwater constructions), and are made freely available to the public. Collections relating to Scotland’s industrial heritage are amongst the most important, and include tens of thousands of digital images which are now available on line. Recent work has focused on the coal industry, and involved close collaboration with the Scottish Mining Museum, resulting in the publication of a book on Scottish Collieries in the nationalised era.
The photographs above show Auchengeich Colliery in Lanarkshire (left), and George Archibald (right), a senior volunteer at the Scottish Mining Museum, whose knowledge of the museum’s collections was vitally important to the coal project. Crown Copyright: RCAHMS
The collections of RCAHMS can be visited in person at John Sinclair House,16 Bernard Terrace, Edinburgh EH8 9NX (office hours are 9.30am – 4.30pm on weekdays). Telephone: 0131 662 1456, Fax: 0131 662 1477, email enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org. Site and map-based queries of the RCAHMS database can be made online using the CANMORE and CANMAP databases at: rcahms.gov.uk